By: Anna Borowiecki - For 45 glorious years Cheremosh has kicked its heels in the air. However, this year is the 30th anniversary of the Cheremosh Dance Festival and organizers are planning a series of firsts.
The biggest change is the addition of an outdoor market on St. Albert Place plaza as the festival returns to its traditional venue at the Arden Theatre. Read more…
Cheremosh Ukrainian Dance Festival
The Cheremosh Ukrainian Dance Festival is one of the largest dance festivals of its kind in North America. It takes place during the second weekend in May, and provides thousands of dancers with the opportunity to perform and learn in a professional and constructive environment.
The festival began in 1984, and has now grown to include over four hundred performances, distributing more than 2,500 medals to young dancers over the course of a four-day event. Each year, the festival concludes with a “Show of Stars” production, with tickets open to the public, showcasing the top-ranking dances of the festival. This Ukrainian dance festival is marked on the calendars of Ukrainian dancers and their families all over Alberta and the prairies. We invite you to come and share in the experience!
This year marks the 30th anniversary of the Festival! The Festival will take place Thursday May 8, 2014 to Sunday May 11, 2014.
- There is no cost to enter the Arden Theatre and enjoy the stage performances.
- Cheremosh Market in the plaza is open from 10:30 am until after the dinner break, Thursday May 8 through Sunday May 11.
- Tickets for the Finale Show of Stars (2 hr production) on Sunday May 11 are $15 each. Click here
2014 Festival Program
Thursday May 8:
• Performance 9:30-12:10 – Regional Girl’s Solos and Boy’s Solos
• Lunch Break 12:10-12:40
• Performance 12:40-17:00 – Regional and Character Solos and Duets, Regional Small Groups
• Dinner Break 17:00-18:00
• Performance 18:00-20:30 – Open Category, Regional Small and Medium Groups
Friday May 9:
• Performance 8:30-12:20 - Regional Girl’s Solos, Boy’s Solos, and Duets
• Lunch Break 12:10-12:40
• Performance 12:40-17:15 – Regional and Character Duets, Small Groups, and Medium Groups
• Dinner Break 17:15-18:15
• Performance 18:15-21:15 – Regional Small, Medium, and Large Groups
Saturday May 10:
• Performance 8:30-12:20 - Regional Small, Medium, and Large Groups
• Lunch Break 12:20-12:50
• Performance 12:50-18:30 - Regional Small, Medium, and Large Groups; Open Categories
• Dinner Break 18:25-17:25
• Performance 17:30-21:30 - Regional Small, Medium, and Large Groups; Open Categories
Sunday May 11:
• Performance 9:00-12:30 – Regional Groups and Character Groups
• Lunch Break 12:30-15:00
• Finale Show of Stars 15:00-17:30 – Tickets $15 each